US EPA Science Advisory Board (SAB)
- Chair of SAB Environmental Models Subcommittee, 1999-2003.
- Member of SAB Dioxin Review Panel, 2010-2011
Member of National Research Council Committees:
- Hazardous Wastes in Highway Rights-of-Way, 1990-1993
- Remediation Priorities for Hazardous Waste Sites, 1991-1994
- USGS Water Resources Research, 1993-1996
- Risk Characterization, 1994-1996
- Environmental Remediation at Naval Facilities, 2000-2002
- Changes in New Source Review Programs for Stationary Sources of Air Pollutants,
- Review of Department of Homeland Security’s Approach to Risk Analysis, 2008-2011
- Risk Management and Governance Issues in Shale Gas Extraction, 2012 – 2014 (Chair)
Associate Editor, Environmental Science & Technology, 1995-2011.
Society for Risk Analysis
- Elected Councilor, 1999-2002
- Elected Secretary, 2005-2009
- Fellow, 2003 –
Independent Third Party Administrator for Peer Consultation Panel on EPA-DuPont PFOA Site Related Environmental Assessment Program, 2008-2009.
Member of Allegheny County Health Department (ACHD) Air Toxics Advisory Committee reviewing revisions of the ACHD air toxics program, 2010 – 2013.
Chair of Advisory Board for Cranfield University (UK) Research Council/Defra Collaborative Centre of Excellence in Understanding and Managing Natural and Environmental Risks, 2009-2011.