Civil Engineering Laurea (M.S. + B.S.)
Structural Engineering Ph.D.
Smart Structures Post-Doc
Berkeley Structural Reliability Post-Doc
July 2017 - present : Associate Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University
Oct. 2012 - June 2017 : Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University
Professional Engineer, registered at the order of engineers of the Province of Trento, Italy (since 2003).
Conference and session organization
- CMU Scott Institute Seed Grants: “Forecasting induced seismicity by integrating physics-based models with machine learning” (PI), with K. Dayal and A. Singh (Co-PIs), [$75,000].
- NSF SES DRMS: “Attitude towards information in multi-agent settings: Understanding and mitigating Avoidance and Over-Evaluation” (PI), with M.-F. Balcan and S. Saccardo (Co-PIs), [$413,000].
- NSF CMMI IMEE: “From Future Learning To Current Action: Long-Term Sequential Infrastructure Planning Under Uncertainty” (PI), with P. Adams and K. Klima (Co-PIs), [$550,000].
- NSF GEO PREEVENTS Track 2: Collaborative Research: “SHADE: Surface Heat Assessment for Developed Environments” (PI), with M. Berges, K. Klima (Co-PIs), and E. Bou-Zeid (PI at Princeton), [$820,000: $515,000 to CMU + $305,000 to Princeton].
- NSF CAREER in CMMI CIS: “CAREER: Infrastructure Management under Model Uncertainty: Adaptive Sequential Learning and Decision Making”, [$500,000] .
- Siebel Energy Institute 2017 Research Grants: “Resilience of the Integrated Urban Infrastructure Under Extreme Events: A Sequential Decision-making Approach” (PI), with B. Sinopoli (Co-PI) [$50,000].
- Pennsylvania Infrastructure Technology Alliance (PITA) grant: "Integrating Robotic Exploration and Adaptive Modeling of Infrastructure Networks" (PI), with S. Kar (Co-PI), [$50,000].
- CMU College of Engineering research equipment grant: “A Computational Lab for the Advanced Infrastructure Systems research group”, (PI), with M. Berges, S. Qian, X. Liu (Co-PIs) [$50,000].
- NSF CMMI CRISP Type 1/Collaborative Research: “A Computational Approach for Integrated Network Resilience Analysis Under Extreme Events for Financial and Physical Infrastructures” (PI), with B. Sinopoli (Co-PI), and A. Minca (PI at Cornell), [$500,000: $350,000 to CMU + $150,000 to Cornell] .
- Pennsylvania Water Resources Research Center: “Assessing Climate Change and Energy Choice Impacts on Drinking Water Quality in Pennsylvania” (Co-PI), with J. Vanbriesen (PI), and C. Samaras (Co-PI) [$43,390].
- Gift of People Gas: "Strategic Pipeline Replacement Planning: Analytics and Monitoring" (Co-PI), with M. Berges (PI), B. Akinci, P. Adams, A. Robinson (Co-PIs) [$240,000]
- CMU Scott Institute Seed Grants: “Resilience of electric energy systems to extreme events: a sequential decision making perspective” (PI), with B. Sinopoli (Co-PI), [$20,000].
- CMU Scott Institute Seed Grants: “Hazard and risk modeling of induced seismicity” (PI), with M. Small (Co-PI), [$72,710].
- CMU Scott Institute Seed Grants: “Simultaneous Multiple Fault Diagnosis for Air Handling Units to Improve Building Energy Efficiency using Hybrid Modeling Approach” (Co-PI), with H. Noh (PI) and X. Liu (Co-PI), [$70,710].
- CMU Metro21 Award: “SHADE (Surface Heat Assessment for Developed Environments)” (PI), with M. Berges, K. Klima, E. Bou-Zeid (Co-PIs), [$37,000].
- CMU Berkman Faculty Development Grant: “Conducting development research and building scientific relationships on the topic of sensing networks for urban systems” (PI) [$4,200].
- Pennsylvania Infrastructure Technology Alliance (PITA) grant: “Probabilistic condition assessment for wind turbine components” (PI) with J. Zico Kolter (Co-PI) [$40,000].
- CMU College of Engineering research equipment grant: “Wireless sensing network for monitoring the new Scott Hall Building”, (PI).
- CMU College of Engineering research equipment grant: “A new instrumented lab for modeling and monitoring of civil systems”, (Co-PI).
- European Commission within the 7th European Framework Program 2007-2013 - specific program Persons: “InfraRiskNet”, (PI) [€180,000].
NSF CAREER award, 2017, from the "Civil Infrastructure Systems" program: "Infrastructure Management under Model Uncertainty: Adaptive Sequential Learning and Decision Making".
Best Paper Award at 8th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN 2009, SPOTS track), San Francisco, CA, April 13-16, 2009, for paper: Ceriotti M., Mottola L., Picco G.P., Murphy A.L., Guna S., Corrà M., Pozzi M., Zonta D., Zanon P. “Monitoring Heritage Buildings with Wireless Sensor Networks: The Torre Aquila Deployment”.
SPIE; ASCE; EMI; ISHMII; SRA; Scientific committee of the ICASP12 conference (July 12-15, 2015, Vancouver);
Organizer committee for the International Bridge Conference in Pittsburgh;
Editorial Board for the journals “Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure” (Taylor & Francis) and “Reliability Engineering and System Safety” (Elsevier);
Review Editor for the topic of “Structural Sensing” of the “Frontiers in Built Environment” journal; Vice-chair of IFIP WG 7.5.
Earthq. Eng. & Struct. Dyn. (Wiley); Rel. Eng. & Sys. Safety; Eng. Struct.; Mech. Sys. & Sign. Proc. (Elsevier); J. of Bridge Eng.; J. of Comp. in Civ. Eng.; J. of Struct. Eng.; J. of Aerosp. Eng. (ASCE); J. of Civ. Struct. Health Monit. (Springer); Struct. & Infrastr. Eng. (Taylor & Francis); J. of Intell. Mat. Sys. & Struct. (SAGE); Smart Mat. and Struct. (IOPscience).