Course Number: 12-727
This course will familiarize students with a variety of laboratory protocols for the analysis of water, wastewater, and soil used in scientific research. The goals of this course are to:
- Introduce students to the principles of environmental sampling and sample analysis.
- Provide familiarity and hands on experience with analytical tools used in environmental engineering research and practice.
- Prepare students to write technical papers/reports and make technical presentations.
- Emphasis is on understanding the theory behind the techniques; rather than simply performing the analyses.
- Procedures covered will include physical, chemical, and microbiological analyses. The basic elements of a research article/engineering report will be presented.
- Learn and practice the principles of site and sample characterization through hands on experience with real site samples (soil, water, air, sediment) or through case studies.
- Develop sampling plans, collect, and analyze samples for organics, metals, etc.
- Learn the specific components of technical writing (abstract, introduction, materials and methods, etc.), and prepare a research paper or technical report on the system investigated during the course.
- Prepare and give a lecture on a specific sampling or sample analysis topic that is relevant to your graduate research or potential career path.
- Prepare and present a 20-minute technical talk and/or poster of the results.
The course content is organized into several laboratory experiences, each of which is presented in a one to two week instructional block covering the theory behind a specific analytical technique and an experiment/laboratory employing that technique. Each student will take the lead in designing and instructing the class how to conduct one of the laboratory exercises. During each lab, students will work in teams to complete the requirements of that exercise, which is typically a written report. The student leading the exercise need not submit a report, but will instead submit a document describing the exercise.