I am the Paul Christiano Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Associate Dean for Research at the College of Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University. I also co-direct the Smart Infrastructure Institute which conducts research on data-driven awareness about infrastructure systems, advanced information models and visualization approaches, as well as proactive decision support.
My research interests include modeling and reasoning about information rich histories of buildings and infrastructure systems, to streamline construction, operations and management. I specifically focus on investigating utilization and integration of building information models with data capture technologies, such as 3D imaging and embedded sensors to capture semantically-rich as-built histories of construction projects and infrastructure operations and to support proactive operations and management.
I have been the recipient of the Professor of the year award in 2011 from the ASCE Pittsburgh section, the CETI Outstanding Early Career Researcher award from FIATECH in 2008 and Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize from ASCE in 2007. I have also one best paper awards from Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering in 2002, and from Construction Research Congress, ISARC and ICCCBE in 2009, 2011 and 2014 respectively. I have one patent, two provisional patents and over 50 referred journal publications and 80 conference publications. She co-edited books on CAD/GIS Integration and on Embedded Commissioning.
- PhD, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Stanford University, 2000
- Thesis Title: Automated Generation of Activity Work-Space Requirement and Time-Space Conflict Analyses
- Advisor: Prof. Martin Fischer
- Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Stanford University, 1996
- Thesis Title: Contractors’ Risk of Cost Overburden
- Advisor: Prof. Martin Fischer
- MS, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Stanford University, 1995
- MBA, Graduate School of Business, Bilkent University, Turkey, 1993
- Thesis Title: Determinants of Marketing and Manufacturing Interface
- Advisor: Prof. Mehmet Pasa • BS, Civil Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Turkey, 1991
- Co-recipient, Best Paper Award, ICCCBE 2014
- Co-recipient, Outstanding Reviewer, ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 2013.
- Co-recipient; Best Poster Award, CII Annual Meeting, 2011.
- Co-recipient; Best Paper Award, ISARC 2011.
- Professor of the year, ASCE Pittsburgh Chapter, 02/2011.
- Co-recipient; The most cited paper between the years of 2005-2010, Advanced Engineering Informatics, 09/2010.
- Paul P. and Norene Christiano Fellowship, Carnegie Mellon University, 05/2010.
- Steven J. Fenves Award for Systems Research, Inst. For Complex, Eng. Systems, March 2010.
- Co-recipient; ACE Award to Recognize Innovative Use of Technology to Promote Internationalism, American Council on Education, 02/2010.
- Best Paper Award, Construction Research Congress, ASCE, 2009.
- CETI, Outstanding Early Career Researcher, FIATECH 2008.
- ASCE 2007 Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize
- NSF CAREER award, National Science Foundation, 2005.
- George Tallman Ladd Research Award, Carnegie Institute of Technology, Carnegie Mellon University, 2003,
- Best Paper Award, Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, ASCE, 2002.
- Lieberman Fellowship, School of Engineering, Stanford University (1999-2000).
- NATO doctoral student scholarship through Turkish National Science Foundation (TUBITAK) (1997-1998).